Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Intro Quote and A Little About Me


"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
Nelson Mandela.

I grew up in Lindside, WV.  I graduated from James Monroe High School in 2004.  I attended WVU for two years, changed my major 3 times, and transferred to Concord University where I finally graduated with my BA in Early Childhood in 2010.  

I am married with a son who is 2.5 years old!  I also have a step-son who is 11.  I taught preschool for a year and decided to further my education and get my M. Ed. in Special Education 5-Adult at Fairmont State University.  I started taking classes the summer of 2012 and recently graduated with my M. Ed. in Multi-Categorical Special Education 5-Adult on May 10, 2014!  I also have an area of endorsement in Biology, and my Autism certification.   

After getting my feet wet teaching preschool I decided to be a substitute teacher in my home county while working towards tackling my master's degree.  I have had the opportunity to substitute teach in 3 long-term positions the last three years.  It has given me the chance to master managing a classroom, teach regular education and special education classes, and teach students ranging in age from 4-18.  It has truly been a learning experience and taught me how to write thorough lesson plans, be extremely organized, and familiar with all of the schools and faculty members in Monroe County, WV.  


What I would like to gain from this class?
I would like to get neat ideas on how to use technology within my classroom other than using my laptop, Elmo, and projector to show videos and work problems with them on the over head.  I'd like to be able to "wow" them with modern technology because they are all so eager to learn about the newest technology available.  I love using iPods and iPads for educational purposes and teach my students by utilizing more than just their textbook, pencil, and paper.

I have completed the following graduate courses:
  • Educ 6300
  • Educ 6301
  • Educ 6302
  • Educ 6303
  • Educ 6305
  • Educ 6322
  • Educ 6323
  • Educ 6395
  • Read 6310
  • Read 6315

  • Sped 5323
  • Sped 6320
  • Sped 6321
  • Sped 6324
  • Sped 6330
  • Sped 6331
  • Sped 6390
 **Currently taking: Educ 6490 and Educ 6809!


My Photo Story





Image from Book Humor - Pinterest





23 comments:

  1. Britney,
    Great to meet you! WOW you have had some amazing teaching experiences. I have also had the opportunity to do two long term substitute jobs in Harrison County this past school year. It has been a wonderful experience and I hope to acquire more technology resources to help me encourage my students and facilitate learning. Good luck this summer semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love to be able to put faces with names! I recognize quite a few names in this class that I've had other classes with but never been able to really see who I'm talking to or who's post I'm commenting on. I think I'm really going to enjoy this class! I'm anxious as well to learn more ways to facilitate learning by using multiple technology resources within my classroom! Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  2. First off Congrats on graduating!!!! I also really liked your photo story. You live in a beautiful area!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I live out in the country that is for sure but it is beautiful. I'm so excited to be finished with my degree but I'm crazy and took two more classes! ;)

      Delete
  3. Britney, love, love, love your story! I grew up in a small town in Webster County (Cowen) and on the campgrounds at the WV American Baptist Camp where my dad Gene Angus was caretaker for 29 years. There's nothing better than growing up where everyone knows your name, Mayberry USA. Thanks for prompting the sweet memories. Now I'm homesick. I have a first cousin who lives in Gap Mills, Carl Cobb. I look forward to sharing class with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry I made you home sick. I'm not familiar with Cowen but I do know some Cobb's from Gap Mills. I actually went to school with a Honei Cobb and a Gretchen Cobb. Any relation? There are advantages and disadvantages to growing up in a small town. Everyone knows your name but also everyone is in everyone's business! I live in a great community though where everyone comes together when someone's house burns down, gets diagnosed with cancer, has had a bad accident, and organizes benefit dinners to raise money for all of the above. It is a very gracious and giving area to live in and I'm thankful to call Monroe County my home!

      Delete
  4. Hey Britney! I thought that your name looked familiar! I think that we've had a few classes together last year, so welcome back! Very industrious to be taking another class 9 days after you graduated!!! lol

    Good luck this summer!!! Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Industrious? I think a better term would be "crazy"! Thank you, you too!

      Delete
  5. Hi Britney! I'm so glad you still have your PhotoStory! Looking forward to having you in class again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Britney,
    I think we have also had classes together although at this point all names sound familiar! I have been in my own classroom for 4 years now and I subbed for 6 years before that. I didn't want to work full-time but my kids are out of the house and my husband keeps telling me that they do not need me at home anymore :) I think that substituting should almost be a requirement before teaching! I gained so much valuable things such as what I wanted to do, what not to do, and my own strengths and weaknesses. Good luck this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree on subbing should be a requirement! I have learned so much about myself and teaching students of all ages. It has been very beneficial and rewarding to me. I cannot wait to have my "own" classroom!

      Delete
  7. Britney,
    I loved your digital media quote. I found it quite funny. It's very nice to meet you and I look forward to reading your posts. Good luck this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keri! I thought your photo from Pinterest was cute as well!

      Delete
  8. Britney,

    Through substitute teaching I learned I wanted to teach in the classroom. I love the science classroom the best but it also fits my B.S. the best but I got a chance to work in every environment from Title 1 to the ALC (Alternative Learning Center). I think it taught me flexibility. Love the literacy joke, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love science! My content area endorsement is Biology. It is very important to be flexible and on your toes at all times. We learn by experience and how to improve our teaching by substituting and seeing our weaknesses while learning to strengthen those areas.

      Delete
  9. Britney-
    I like your book humor! Very funny! Sounds like you have gotten a lot of experience in your long term sub positions! I am working on my master's in Multi-Cat Special Education! Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found it funny, but it doesn't take much to humor me! Good luck in pursing your Multi-Cat Spec Ed degree!

      Delete
  10. Love your picture you posted about the books. I agree with you in learning new technology. I know how to do the basics, but it would be nice to know some "hidden" secrets to share with my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, I try to be creative but I need some new tricks in my hat!

      Delete
  11. Hi Britney,
    You have quite the breadth of knowledge with all your degrees and courses you've taken. I hope that you enjoy taking the course and have some free time to spend with your family this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! I have busted my butt to get my master's but know it will all be worth it in the long run. I hope you have a great semester as well!

      Delete
  12. Hi Britney,
    I love your education quote! We have taken some of the same education courses. I saw that you have taken a lot of Sped class. I have never taken one but I am also not doing special education. I was an ABA Therapist for 2 years. Good Luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete