Sunday, June 29, 2014

Weekly Reading 6 - Voices In The Park

1.      Explain why Voices in The Park is an example of a postmodern picturebook.

Postmodern picturebooks blend visual images and design elements with written language in a cohesive structure that simultaneously unfold in both visual and verbal narratives.  Voices in The Park has animated images that tell the story.  It isn’t just a story though, there are different characters and voices.  In this story each character tells the same story but how it went from their perspective and with their voice.  It was very neat to watch and hear how each story was similar but also how each character had a different viewpoint of how the day at the park went.  The sounds and pictures accompanied as the story was told by the different characters and voices.  It has an artistic style of illustrations and an interrelationship among the various elements that create the energetic aspects of a multimodal ensemble.  I think students of all ages would enjoy reading/watching picturebooks, not just elementary students!

2.      Give examples of how at least three of the picturebook codes listed on pg 78 are used in Voices In The Park.

One example I noticed was codes of position and size.  The character that was telling the story was larger and brought to the front and centered.  When Charles’ mom was telling the story she is large in most of the animated pictures and centered on the bench was her and Charles when they were sitting at the park.

photo from word press

The second example I noticed was when Smudge’s dad was telling the story.  There is a picture of him sitting in a chair with a dark shadow behind him.  This thick shadow I think represents codes of line.  I could almost feel as though he was sitting in a dark room in front of a fire or television with the large shadow of the chair reflecting on the wall behind him.
photo from word press

The third example I found was when Charles was telling the story.  He is standing in the park on the sidewalk watching Albert chase Victoria.  He is again larger and kind of centered in the picture but I believe the code of perspective is represented in this photo.  The dogs and kids playing in the background are much smaller and I could interpret the scene as though he was standing on the side of a hill looking up at the horizon watching everyone have fun.

photo from word press

3.      Identify and explain the type of "interplay" between the written word and visual images on one of the pages in Voices In The Park.

One type of interplay I noticed was the picture/scene where Charles’ mom was telling the story and she said, “We walked home in silence.”  There was enhancing interplay animating the photo because although she says they walked in silence there were birds cowling and her high heels clicking loudly with every step she took.  This is something I wouldn’t have imaged just reading the text myself but with the animations and enhancing interplay it made me think she was just a snooty old lady prancing home.  Who wears high heels to walk their dog to the park?

4.      Identify the art movement or technique that is being used in Voices In The Park. 

The artists seem to draw on techniques and devices taken from folk art surrealism in Voices In The Park.  I feel the images are drawn to a folk art perspective but the animated monkeys are a type of surrealism because they act and talk as if they were human.  They express their feelings and speak English as they are real humans.

5.      Conduct an Ideological Analysis and Structural Analysis of Voices In The Park. What is the message? Provide evidence from the images to support your opinion. Use the examples on pg 86, 87, 89. I do not expect your analysis to be as indepth but I would like for you to make two or three insightful observations about the perspectives and social context conveyed through the books words and images. 

Structural Analysis- There is a mother monkey taking their pedigree Labrador retriever and son Charles to the park.  The lady is dressed in a hat, long dress coat, scarf, and high heel boots.  They leave a nice white two story house.  Does this mean that she is well off because they have a nice home and own a pedigree dog?  Does she have money and dress nicely to show off or is it just cool outside that day?  Is she a single or widowed mother or is her husband just at work?  After listening to her tone and attitude she doesn’t like anyone and thinks others dogs are pests. 

photo from word press

Ideological Analysis- The cover of the story shows trees with a little boy and girl monkey standing together amongst a bunch of trees.  Would this refer to a story about kid monkeys in the park? 

photo from word press

The next photo I refer to is one where Charles and his mother are sitting on the park bench.  She is sitting with her arms crossed, eyes shut, and turned away from the others on the bench.  Would this suggest that she is a rude and snooty woman who is too good to socialize with the others visiting the park?  

photo from word press

The photo of Smudge’s father sitting in the chair by himself at home looks as though he is really sad or depressed.  Maybe he is just watching a sad television show or bored because nothing interesting is on television.  He may even be watching the fire burn in his fireplace thinking to himself.  After listening to his tone and words I feel he’s depressed over not having a job and wants to give up on finding one.



6.      Embed a picture of the cover of Voices In The Park in your blog.


3 comments:

  1. I had not thought of slide of the mom 'walking home in silence' yet there was a lot of noise in the background. I had viewed the story several times and did not realize that we could click on different parts of the page and other things would also happen. I agree with you that the dad looks as if he is sitting in the dark (I thought he might me watching TV because of the shadows blinking). I agree with you that anyone would enjoy this picturebook and I hope to find more that are similar to use in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does your peers Ideological and Structural Analysis of Voices In The Park different or similar to your own?
    Britney Greer commented on the Mother Monkeys outfit, which didn’t even occur to me to describe or address. I’m shocked that it never occurred to me because it is an absolutely valid part of the critique. I appreciate that she reflected on this aspect of the story and feel she was spot on in her judgments. I would have made very similar reflections myself.
    How does your peer Ideological and Structural Analysis change your understanding of this the text.

    I feel that Britney opened my eyes to a few more parts of the story that I could have addressed. At the time I was completing the assignment I felt confident that I had addressed every possible avenue and I appreciate that Britney showed me another area I could have reflected on. Thanks Britney for your concise observations. I enjoyed reading your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great examples and analysis. I don't think I noticed that the narrator was the largest person in each image until you mentioned it. I also got the sense the Mummy was rude and snotty. I think it shows in the images... there is a sense of isolation between her and her son. This really comes through when she sees Smudge's father and assumes that something bad has happened to her son.

    ReplyDelete