Sunday, June 15, 2014

Weekly Reading 4

If children are to understand how images represent and construct meaning, they need knowledge of the visual meaning-making systems used in their production (Serafini, pg. 17, 2014).
 
I agree with this statement because at an early age children are introduced to picture books.  By early primary grades they are reading small words in large print but still with many illustrations and pictures accompanying the text.  Then, by middle school and high school years they move on to higher level readings and writings and are expected to focus more on written language and much less on visual images.  I have to admit I haven’t always been a strong reader myself.  I enjoyed picture books and even elementary reading that had pictures that went along with the stories.   I started falling behind when I had to comprehend the text solely based on understanding what they were trying to convey just by reading and looking at written print.  I was in college before I became a “good” reader and developed the reading comprehension skills I needed to be successful academically.  I truly believe that not only those who are visual learners but all learners need knowledge of the visual meaning-making systems they use in order to understand that images formulate meaning. 

Before teachers can help support students as creators and interpreters of multimodal ensembles, they first have to become more familiar with these terms and concepts themselves and develop a more extensive knowledge base from which to expand their literacy curriculum (Serafini, pg. 18, 2014). 


I had to include this statement as well in this posting.  I couldn't agree more with it and it is the main reason I took this course even though I have already completed my Master’s degree!  I felt it would be helpful to learn more ways to incorporate technology into my ways of teaching.  I am uneasy at giving students assignments that I myself am not an expert at.  So this is a huge step for me to learn and do trial and error runs with my students to see what works best with them and just what exactly they are capable of doing with the abundance of technology and available resources at their fingertips!  I want to be able to support my students’ ability to design, interpret, and utilize multimodal texts not only in my classroom but anytime I possibly can.  In order for this to take place, I have to learn all about what is out there and be willing to accept new ideas and technology into my classroom so I can be a teacher of the future and not of the past!      

Serafini, Frank.  (2014).  Reading the Visual: An Introduction to Teaching Multimodal Literacy.  Teachers College Press: New York, New York.



How is your definition of literacy different or similar to the definition of literacy presented in the book? Or how did the reading change or expand your definition of literacy?

            The book’s definition:  Traditionally, the word literacy has referred to a set of cognitive skills that individuals acquire to function in society, primarily the ability to read and write to a specified degree of proficiency.  However, more recent definitions of literacy suggest it is as much a social practice as it is an individual cognitive skill.  This change in how literacy is defined suggests that literacy is something individuals do in particular social contexts, rather than simply something that individuals acquire (Serafini, pg. 19, 2014).

            At first, my definition of literacy would basically be the ability to read and write.  After reading chapter two I realize that literacy is much more than reading and writing.  There are different types of literacy and that each is associated with particular settings, actions, identities, and social practices.  I completely understand this though because I am very capable of reading and writing most anything for even college level courses, but when it comes to a technology class I am just getting my feet wet.  This is the first time I have ever had a blog!  I thought I was up on technology and multimedia but I’m afraid I was wrong!  I am learning new ways to communicate and socialize with the online world every day.     

How can visual literacy support the development of the kinds of reading and writing we want children to learn through schooling?

            Expanding the theoretical perspectives teachers bring to the exploration of visual images, various digital and print-based media, and multimodal ensembles will help teachers as they support student’s literate development in the context of contemporary society (Serafini, pg. 28, 2014).  We, the teachers, have to adjust to this change and shift in teaching so we are able to help our students and assist them in learning not only how to read and write, but communicate and network in a variety of ways and settings while they are in school. 

Find an online resources that addresses issues of visual literacy in education link to it or embed it your blog posting and provide a brief explanation of how it relates to this week's reading.


            This is a great article about visual literacy.  James Daly, a filmmaker, argues that students must learn a new language of image and sound in order to succeed.  He states that the way we are educating is based on nineteenth-century ideas and methods and that we are now in the twenty-first century and wonders why we are we doing things the ancient way?  He continues by expressing that our system of education is locked in a time capsule.  That there are new ways of teaching and learning and his opinion of what visual literacy our students need to be learning!

                                                              

Images that relates to the ideas presented in this week's reading:


                                                               Pinterest Image


                                                Link to above photo of Visual Literacy

1 comment:

  1. I love your both of your images! They explain so much of what we read. My definition of literacy was also expanded. I had never thought of literacy in so many different ways. I also took this course to enhance my skills and learn more ways to provide kids with multiple ways of learning the same subject. I had not even heard of the term "multimodal" text before although I knew what they were (just didn't know it had a name!). I agree that we are way behind in the way we teach the kids today. I know some teachers who NEVER use technology and the students hate these certain people's classes. It seems technology is moving faster than we can learn it!

    ReplyDelete